New application form for permanent resident (PR) applications
Effective July 18, 2011, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will introduce a new application form for permanent resident (PR) applications. The new form entitled ‘Generic Application Form for Canada’ (IMM0008) will replace all existing PR application forms. The IMM0008 is the second major form to be modernized by CIC. The temporary resident application for applicants outside Canada was successfully implemented in the fall of 2010. The new PR form represents a logical continuation from temporary residents to permanent residents.
CIC is undertaking measures to process immigration applications more efficiently and this new form will assist in that goal. This will affect all applications for permanent residence from both within Canada and outside Canada. The change is administrative, not legislative and is in line with our department’s modernization initiative. This change integrates the many different forms for permanent residence and creates one universal application for all permanent residence categories.
The new form introduces several enhancements/ features:
- Applicants have the ability to save an incomplete application in order to complete it at a later time.
- Applicants will be prompted electronically to help with the completion of the form through the use of drop down lists included for select fields. This reduces the time it takes to fill out an application. It is expected that this will also increase the accuracy and consistency of responses.
- Once the application is completed and validated online by the applicant, a bar code will be generated. This page will be printed and accompany the application form. This will facilitate the entry of data in CIC’s processing system, which should also reduce the amount of data entry required as well as reduce the number of data entry errors that can occur.
- The Schedule A Background/declaration is now designated as IMM5669 and will be completed by all applicants over 18.
- The in-Canada application forms for permanent residence (IMM5202, IMM5001 and IMM5002) will be replaced with the new IMM0008. One form will collect all the relevant information for processing applications for permanent residence.
- Sponsorship application forms which are mainly used in conjunction with family class applications have been redesigned as well. Previously, the sponsorship application form (IMM1344A) and the sponsorship agreement form (IMM1344B) were two separate documents. Effective July 18th, 2011 they will be combined into one form called Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking (IMM1344).
- After July 18th, 2011 all applications for permanent residence, where a sponsorship is applicable, must include both the IMM1344 and the IMM0008. This will form a more complete PR application package which will streamline processing.
CIC is strongly encouraging applicants to complete the form electronically in order to achieve gains in efficiency. However, applications completed ‘by hand’ will still be accepted until March 31, 2012.Back to News